Tuesday, October 21, 2014

DNA And The Death Of Nestor


Nestor Gonzalez, my 2nd great grandfather was from Santander Jimenez, a small town south of Matamoros.  He was born somewhere around 1841.  I have yet to find any definitive record of his birth or baptism.   And believe me, I have looked!  The good news is that his parents are named on many documents; both in the birth of his children and subsequent marriages of same children.  But that is all.  There are no records of his parent’s marriage or where he may have been born, if not Santander Jimenez.   I have found no records of siblings from the same parents.   My thoughts of who may be his parents belong to another blog post some day.

Nestor and his wife, Salome, had several children.  Two of them were my great grandfather Ines, and another his sister Martina, whom I wrote about in my previous blog.

Ines, at some point in his life, moved to the Matamoros area and got married[1].  He lived on El Rancho de la Rusias where he and his wife had several children.  When I could not find record of Nestor’s death in S. Jimenez, I decided to start looking in Matamoros.  The wedding of one of Nestor’s other daughters in 1907 helped narrow the search.  He was listed as deceased in the record. 

It didn’t take long to find the name Nestor Gonzalez in the index for deaths in Matamoros’ civil registration for 1903.  As I nervously flipped though the pages, I wondered again if I had gotten lucky. 



Nestor Gonzalez passed away in Matamoros, Tamaulipas, Mexico on 21 July 1903[2].  He died of liver cancer.   The record stated that he was originally from Jimenez and that he was a laborer.   The given age was in the correct ballpark.  I even have the exact section and plot number of his grave. 

I still had questions…. Was it correct to assume this was my Nestor Gonzalez?   Why was he now in Matamoros?  Was he there because he was ill?  Was he there to be closer to his son?  Was the whole family now in Matamoros? 

I wanted to say yes to all that in my head, but I just couldn’t be certain I had the right Nestor.  The one fact that bothered me the most; who was Porfirio de la Fuente, (a name I would soon forget) and why was Porfirio the informant and not some other known member of the family?

It would be months before I figured it out.


[1] Blog post “A Family Found” 29 Sept 2014 http://agonzaleswithans.blogspot.com/2014/09/a-family-found.html
[2] "México, Tamaulipas, Registro Civil, 1800-2002," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-23456-14464-82?cc=1916237&wc=MD5V-J2S:203415001,203434101 : accessed 22 Oct 2014), Matamoros > Defunciones 1902-1907 > image 114 of 511; citing Archivo General del Registro Civil del Estado de Tamaulipas.

No comments:

Post a Comment